Introduction to poker strategy

Jack of heartsThis poker guide doesn't promise you miracles like "make thousands of dollars every month". Such things can never be promised in the game of poker (hardly in other fields either), but one thing can be said for sure: the player that accomplishes the following four criteria will be a winning poker player ...

1. Knowledge
2. Experience
3. Continuity
4. Self-control

It's that simple, but at the same time very hard to fulfil. Knowledge is information about strategies and odds. Experience is something you gain by playing. According to the poker legend Doyle Brunson the latter is far more important: "Knowing what to do - the science - is about 10% of the game. Knowing how to do it - the art - is the other 90%".

Continuity is to follow a plan and not play in a restless manner; this subject is closed associated with money management. Self-control finally, is about what the word saying: never lose control when the cards turn against you. How to manage self control will be explained in the section about psychology.

What the tips in this poker guide cannot do is give you experience at the table. Neither can it give you any guarantees that you will be able to keep sufficient continuity or be able to practice self control all the time. Nevertheless, some tips about how you could be better in these areas are included.

If you study and learn the instructions that will follow, you should be able to play better poker than the big majority of the players you are going to face on poker tables online and in other places. Exactly how you practice your strategical knowledge, your money management insights and your understanding of the psychological aspects are always something you must carry through on your own.

In the sidebar to the left you could see all the articles in this strategy guide. The recommendation is to start with the article on Basic poker strategy.

 
analytics